Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Starting Line-up


It feels dishonest now to post any photographs taken one whole week ago; but, I'll take this opportunity to use them as an enticer, a jumping off point for my subsequent posts. Curious yet?


After what seemed like weeks of hacking through jungles of heinous weeds, battling one mysterious basil problem after another, noticing that the stray neighborhood cats had used (what was) my kale plot as a litter box, and wondering if any of my sunflower or morning glory flowers would EVER bloom (all while getting eaten alive by them heartless mosquitos)...I can exhale; I am content.

Suddenly, mother nature - or maybe, some invisible yet convincing garden fairy - issued these words to my plants: "let's pick things up, people!" While the weeds seem to have listened as well, I am still absolutely tickled pink at the sight of 3 sunflowers about to unfold their yellow petals; 1 large (and long dormant) gladiolus now studded with frilly, pink blossums; at least 2 newly ripe cherry tomatoes daily (Better Boys to follow..); 3 miniature watermelons on ever-sprawling vines; 7 whole morning glory flowers (!!); and lastly, herbs that don't appear to be auditioning for the role of Harold (before he meets Maude).


**dear reader, please note the bee in the bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment